Just because I’m technically on “vacation” doesn’t mean I’m not following every drip of news regarding AC4: Black Flag multiplayer. Today, Loomer released a video explaining all the changes and updates to the base game, some of which are minor… others of which will have consequences I can’t even imagine yet. You’re certainly encouraged to watch the video, but some important notes:
- There are no longer chases. It is unclear at this time how this affects chase-like behaviors and scoring.
- There are no longer silent streaks. Instead, silent kills count as two kills towards all streaks.
- Smoke Bomb and Throwing Knives have both received large nerfs, hurting the stun-baiting strategy.
- Almost every ability can now be thrown/deployed at distance.
- Money Bomb has been slightly buffed. Prepare to ride to victory on a gold-plated chariot!
Obviously it’s too early to understand just how some of these changes will affect AC4 multiplayer balance and strategy, but some preliminary guesses might be:
- With fewer easy stuns and less of a contested kill penalty, pursuers will generally be more aggressive.
- As such, target players may be forced to rely on skills like Morph and Bodyguard, or Tripwire Bomb/Booby Trap in less conventional defensive scenarios.
- Firecrackers and Time Phase will be the abilities to watch out for as they negate key strategies while having additional versatility.
- Game Lab is going to be extremely popular in the community amongst players who are angered by these changes!
Well, those are just my thoughts… how do Black Flag’s updates sit in your stomach?