If you’ve e-mailed me in the past month or so asking to write for Top Tier Tactics, odds are I told you to wait for the next round of internships begging for content “hiring.” Well, unless your name is Binerexis or Rabid Ferret,* your lucky day has arrived. I need one or two writers to cover weekly gaming news while telling the world why it should care (or if it shouldn’t).
Are you a bad enough dude to handle this position?
In my 2011 New Year’s post, I talked about the low, low standards set by video game journalists the world over. Often, gaming “news” is nothing more than casually-written advertisements, featuring headlines like “Why 2011 will be the best year for FPS games” or “New Guitar Hero bundle only $99.99.” Real journalists gather facts and present them in objective light while informing the audience, not pandering to corporate interests.
While I don’t expect anyone writing for this blog to have the connections or precognition to beat out the big players in the gaming news arena, I expect such a writer to see past hype and have the guts to call it like it is.
So far, I’ve gathered some great creative and tactical minds, but the site needs to be on the pulse of the digital world, severing its arteries and draining its lifeblood when the need arises. While the position may eventually include more free-form writing, your primary goal will be to bring important shit to the front page of the site every week.
- Produce one news summary article each week, highlighting three to five major gaming news stories
- Produce one or two Tactical Tuesday/Thursday pieces each week, highlighting interesting strategies and tactics from other sources
Do Apply If
- You find traditional gaming journalism sycophantic
- You know what sycophantic means
- You can produce the aforementioned articles every week
- You’re okay with maybe making money in the long run
Do Not Apply If
- You may be doing this thing next month and you might have to be gone for a while
- You have already preordered an NGP
- You didn’t first read every word of this post
- You expect to be rolling in dough. Unless you mean cookie dough.
How to Apply
Contact me pronto and tell me a little bit about who you are and why you want to do this crazy, unrewarding task. I’ll then give you a simple assignment: write one gaming news summary and one Tactical Tuesday piece within one week. Don’t write before you’ve heard back, though, as the general format of both pieces will be somewhat specific.
Well, what are you waiting for? You think Peter Parker and Clark Kent were great journalists because they were also superhuman?!?**
*They already had their lucky day, which is every day.
**Okay, okay. Bad examples.